What is the City of Light?
The City of Light is an urban lighting development project coordinated by the City of Jyväskylä. The purpose of the project is to utilize the latest lighting technology in the city infrastructure and to create a safe, comfortable and energy-saving environment for residents, businesses and visitors of Jyväskylä.
Known for its architecture, Jyväskylä already has over a hundred permanent lighting sites that are an important part of the city brand. Known sites include Kuokkala and Ylistö Bridges, Vesilinna Observation Tower, Church Park, Matti Nykänen’s hill, and numerous other public works of art. The City of Light also annually organizes the popular City of Light –event that brings joy to both city residents and visitors.
The tasks of the City of Light include
- Development of urban lighting culture
- Organization of light-themed events during the dark months of the year
- Construction of new lighting sites and guidance in planning
- Advicing on lighting matters
- Strengthening cooperation with cities of light in the world (LUCI)
- Collaboration with educational institutions to develop light-related research