What is the City of Light?
The City of Light is an urban lighting development project coordinated by the City of Jyväskylä. The purpose of the project is to utilize the latest lighting technology in the city infrastructure in order to create a safe, comfortable and energy-saving environment for residents, businesses and visitors of Jyväskylä.
Known for its architecture, Jyväskylä already has over a hundred permanent lighting sites that are an important part of the city brand. Known sites include Kuokkala Bridge, Vesilinna Observation Tower in Harju, and Compass lighting in the heart of the city center.
The tasks of the City of Light include
- Development of urban lighting culture
- Organization of events around the thematic of light during the dark months of the year
- Construction of new lighting sites and guidance in planning
- Giving advice on lighting matters
- Strengthening cooperation with cities of light in the world
- Collaboration with educational institutions in order to develop light-related research